ECONOMIC CENSUS          

Economic census is the official count of entrepreneurial units located in geographical boundaries of the country involved in any economic activities of either agricultural (excluding crop production and plantation) or non-agricultural sectors of the economy engaged in production or distribution of goods and services but not for the sole purposes of own-consumption.                                

The objective of the conduct of Economic Census is to provide basic information viz.number of enterprises, employment therein, number of enterprises by type of activity, by type of ownership and by type of social group for planning purposes and to provide a frame for follow-up surveys which are meant for collecting detailed information about the enterprise. 

The first Economic Census to collect information in the non-agricultural economy was conducted in 1977, wherein the coverage was restricted only to non-agricultural enterprises employing at least one hired worker on a fairly regular basis. This Economic Census covered only those establishments engaged in non-agricultural activities such as Mining & Quarrying, Manufacturing, Trade, Construction, Transport and Services employing at least one hired worker. This census collected basic data such as number of non-agricultural establishments, their location, nature of establishment, size of employment, value of output  / turn over / receipt etc.                     

The second Economic Census was carried out in April May 1980 on a more comprehensive basis, along with the house listing operations of population census, 1981. It was sponsored by the CSO in collaboration with the State Directorate of Economics and Statistics. In 1980 Economic Census, own Account Enterprises, which was not covered in 1977 census, though much more in number are also covered. In this census enterprises engaged in economic activity both in agriculture and non-agriculture whether employing any worker or not were covered, except those engaged in crop production and plantation. 

The third Economic Census 1990 was sponsored by the CSO, Government of India as a Central Sector Scheme and implemented through the State Directorate of Economics & Statistics. For ease of operational convenience and cos effectiveness, it was carried out during April May 1990 as an adjustment to the house listing operations of the 1991 population census, in collaboration with the census organizations. Under the third economic census, a complete enumeration of entrepreneurial activities other than crop production and plantation in rural and urban areas of the country was carried out. The enterprise, nature of operations, type of ownership, social group of owner, power / fuel used for the activity and the number of hired persons usually working in the enterprise. 

The fourth Economic Census was carried out in 1998. The census information is uniformly collected through four forms namely, (1) House list form (HL), (2) House list abstract form (HLA), (3) Enterprise list form (EL) and (4) Enterprise list abstract form (ELA). Census village is taken as the primary unit in rural areas whereas in urban areas it is the urban Frame Survey Block (UFS) formed by the Staff of Field Operations Division (FOD) of National Sample Survey Organisation (NSSO). 

Items of information collected in the 1998 economic census were description of enterprises, classification of enterprise as to whether agriculture or non-agricultural, nature of operations, type of ownership, social group of owner, power / fuel used for the activity and number of person usually working daily in the non-agricultural enterprise with male, female, total and also hired male, hired female were recorded in the Enterprise List. Information of number of persons usually working in the agricultural enterprise with total and hired was also collected. 

            The fifth Economic Census was conducted during 2005 in the whole of the State of Mizoram. All economic activities (agriculture and non agricultural) except those involved in crop production and plantation are covered under this census. The fifth Economic Census was conducted both in rural & urban areas of the State. The unit of Survey in rural areas were census villages as classified by 2001 Population Census. In the rural areas as many as 803 number of villages were covered. Urban area comprised of 22 Census towns as per 2001 Population Census Classification. The unit of survey in urban areas were the block(s) under Urban Frame Survey (UFS) prepared by National Sample Survey Organisation (NSSO). The number of blocks covered during the census was 523 

Key result of this Census are as follows :- 

As per the results of the economic census, 2005 there were 47,730 enterprises engaged in different economic activities other than crop production and plantation in Mizoram. Among those 10,782 enterprises were engaged in Agricultural activities and the remaining 36,948 enterprises were engaged in non-agricultural activities. 

Out of the total 47,730 enterprises in the State 18,016 (37.7%) were located in the rural areas and 29,714 (62.3%) were located in the urban areas. 

Out of the total 10,782 agricultural enterprises, 4,399 (40.8%) enterprises were located in rural areas and the remaining 6,383 (59.2%) enterprises were located in urban areas. Out of 10,782 agricultural enterprises, 10,124 were own-account enterprises and 658 were establishments. 

Out of the total 36,948 non-agricultural enterprises 13,617 (36.85%) enterprises were located in rural areas and the remaining 23,331 (63.15%) enterprises were located in urban areas. Out of 36,948 non-agricultural enterprises 15052 were establishment and 21,896 were own-account enterprises. Again, out of 15,052 establishments, 6,888 (45.76%) were located in rural areas and the remaining 8,164 (54.23%) were located in urban areas of the state. 

A total of 1,06,706 persons were employed in all the 47,730 enterprises in the State. In all there were 64,276 hired workers in both agricultural and non-agricultural enterprises. Out of the total hired workers in both agricultural and non-agricultural enterprises 44,801 worked in the urban areas and the remaining 19,475 worked in rural areas. 

Out of the total 1,06,706 persons employed in agricultural and non-agricultural enterprises 33,314 (31.22%) were employed in rural areas and 73,392 (68.78%) were employed in urban areas of the state.

 In the agricultural sector, a total of 13,481 persons were employed out of which 5,331 belongs to rural areas and the rest 8,150 belongs to urban areas. Similarly, in the non-agricultural sectors, a total of 93,225 persons were employed out of which 27,983 belongs to rural areas and the rest 65,242 belongs to urban areas.

Economic Census Table 

Table :1 District wise Number of Enterprises & Employment (Economic Census 2005)

Sl.No

District

No. of Enterprises

Persons Employed

Rural

Urban

Combine

Rural

Urban

Combine

1

2

3

4

5

6

7

8

1

Mamit

1725

794

2519

2959

1782

4677

2

Kolasib

1796

2431

4227

2760

4576

7336

3

Aizawl

4167

18108

22275

6805

45846

52651

4

Champhai

2738

2620

5358

4439

5238

9677

5

Serchhip

1256

1377

2633

2160

2931

5091

6

Lunglei

3033

3573

6606

5331

9582

14913

7

Lawngtlai

2266

-

2266

6282

-

6282

8

Saiha

1035

811

1846

2642

3437

6079

 

Mizoram

18016

29714

47730

33314

73392

106706

 
Table : 2 District wise Number of Agricultural and Non-agricultural Enterprises (Economic Census 2005)

 

Sl. No

District

Rural

Urban

 Combined

Agri

Non-agri

Agri

Non-agri

Agri

Non-agri

1

2

3

4

5

6

7

8

1

Mamit

240

1485

247

547

487

2032

2

Kolasib

729

1067

880

1551

1609

2618

3

Aizawl

1422

2745

3586

14522

5008

17267

4

Champhai

834

1904

943

1677

1777

3581

5

Serchhip

163

1093

259

1118

422

2211

6

Lunglei

701

2332

449

3124

1150

5456

7

Lawngtlai

268

1988

-

-

268

1998

8

Saiha

42

993

19

792

61

1785

 

Mizoram

4399

13617

6383

23331

10782

36948

 Table : 3 Number of Employment by type of Enterprise

Type of Enterprise

Rural

Urban

Combine

Number

% to the total

Number

% to the total

Number

% to the total

1. Own Account Enterprise

(a) Total

12877

12.0

24491

22.9

37368

35.0

(b) Hired

-

 

-

 

-

 

Female

5714

5.4

14097

13.2

19811

18.5

2. Establishment

(a) Total

20437

19.1

48901

45.8

69338

65.0

(b) Hired

19475

18.3

44801

41.9

64276

60.2

Female

6071

5.6

15637

14.6

21308

19.9

3. All Enterprise

(a) Total

33314

31.3

73392

68.7

106706

 

(b) Hired

19475

18.3

44801

41.9

64276

60.2

Female

11785

11.0

29734

27.8

41119

38.5

 Table - 4 District-wise Number of Enterprise by type and Employment therein (Economic Census 2005)

Sl. No

District

OAE

Establishment

No. of enterprise

No.of persons working

Adult female

No.of enterprise

No. of persons working

Adult female

1

2

3

4

5

6

7

8

1

Mamit

1436

1656

856

1083

3021

938

2

Kolasib

2921

3197

1669

1306

4139

1226

3

Aizawl

15820

17933

10328

6455

34718

11623

4

Champhai

3740

3377

2335

1618

5107

1636

5

Serchhip

1615

1711

836

1018

3080

1014

6

Lunglei

4192

5102

2361

2414

9811

3010

7

Lawngtlai

1329

1821

724

937

4461

1109

8

Saiha

967

1387

702

879

4602

1152

 

Mizoram

32020

36184

19811

15710

68939

21708

  KEY RESULT OF ECONOMIC CENSUS 

Sl. No

Particulars

Unit

EC-1980

EC-1990

EC-1998

EC-2005

1

No.of Enterprises

 

 

 

 

 

 

a) Agricultural Entpr.

Nos.

753

794

10214

10782

 

b) Non-agricultural Enterprise

Nos.

12790

22221

14729

36948

 

c) Total Enterprises

 

13543

23015

24943

47730

2

No. of Persons employed

 

 

 

 

 

 

a) Male

Person

-

-

58990

93225

 

b) Female

Person

-

-

18467

13481

 

c) Total

Person

47632

70157

77457

106706

 

d) Hired

Person

-

50488

55081

64276

3.

No.of Enterprises by type

 

 

 

 

 

 

a) OAE

Nos.

6907

12533

14544

32020

 

b) Establishment

Nos.

6636

10482

10399

15710

 

c) Total

Nos.

13543

23015

24943

47730

Disclaimer: NIC is not responsible for any inadvertent error that may have crept in the web pages being published on NET. The website published on net are for immediate information to the public. For any clarification, please contact the Director, Economics & Statistics, Government of Mizoram.
Designed and Hosted by
National Informatics Centre, Mizoram.